Esketamine is the first prescription nasal spray, taken with an oral antidepressant, for:
- adults with treatment-resistant depression
- Depressive symptoms in adults with major depressive disorder with suicidal thoughts or actions
Esketamine; currently marketed under the name SPRAVATO® has minimal risk for weight gain and sexual dysfunction which are side effects of some oral antidepressants.
Patients may notice an improvement in depressive symptoms as early as 24 hours after their first Esketamine treatment.
In a clinical study of 1700 adults with treatment-resistant depression, almost 70% of patients who took Esketamine along with an oral antidepressant experienced at least a 50% improvement in their depressive symptoms after the first 4 weeks of treatment.
Esketamine is only available at certified Esketamine treatment centers and is self-administered under the supervision of a certified healthcare provider. After the initiation phase of twice per week for the first four weeks, then a weekly/biweekly treatment after that.
Patients with treatment-resistant depression no longer have to be trapped at a dead end. Esketamine is a new revolutionary treatment that alleviates depressive symptoms – at times, within only hours. Esketamine is hailed as a completely innovative treatment that has helped a great number of individuals enjoy their lives without looking through the lens of depression.
Esketamine is drawn from another drug called ketamine. Ketamine has had a long-standing history of treating depression. However, the alternate form, Esketamine, is much more intense and effective at reversing most symptoms associated with major depressive bouts. The advantage of having a more potent drug is that you can take a much lower dose, which in return, will cause a great decrease in any side effects a patient may experience.
Additional Benefits of Esketamine Treatment
In addition to being a phenomenal drug in treating resistant depression, Esketamine also has several other remarkable benefits. Esketamine is a fast-acting drug that contrasts with most anti-depressant medications. Most anti-depressant medications take upwards of several weeks to have an effect. Esketamine takes only a few hours.
Research suggests that Esketamine is able to counteract the harmful effects depression has on the brain. Over a period of extended stress, connections between brain cells become hindered. Esketamine has shown to ‘rejoin’ these connections, demonstrating a growth-promoting impact. Therefore, Esketamine not only alleviates the effects of illnesses but may reverse the damage it has done over an extended period of time.
Serious side effects include feeling sleepy (sedation), dissociation, abuse, increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior, increased blood pressure, problems with thinking clearly, and bladder problems. The most commonly observed side effects in adults taking Esketamine and an oral antidepressant were:
- Spinning sensation
- Decreased feeling of sensitivity (numbness)
- Feeling sleepy (sedation)
- Feeling anxious
- Lack of energy
- Increased blood pressure
- Feeling drunk
- Feeling very happy or excited
Once you have discussed the risks and benefits of Esketamine with your doctor and chosen it as the best treatment option, you can begin the process as soon as your second visit. There are essential steps that need to be taken to ensure a higher probability of successful treatment. Typically, the administering of medication will be twice a week for the first four weeks, once a week for the following month, and then once a week or biweekly.
- Plan a ride: You will feel heavily sedated with a reduction in alertness, and therefore, unable to drive or operate any type of machinery.
- No food or drink before: You may experience nausea and vomiting after inhaling the dose, so be sure to refrain from eating or drinking at least two hours before your scheduled treatment.
- Your healthcare provider will ask questions about your current state of mental health and other medications you may be taking.
- You will receive 2-3 nasal spray devices, each with one spray per nostril.
- Wait five minutes to allow the medication time to absorb.
- Spray the second device, one spray in each nostril.
- During your first month, you will take the medication twice a week with a two-hour monitoring after each session and an evaluation at the end of the month.
- After that, you will take it weekly or biweekly, in addition to your prescribed oral antidepressant.
- Through continued evaluation and conversation with your doctor, your dosage may continue to decrease.
- Be sure to tell your doctor about any complications or symptoms you may be experiencing during or after treatment.
For more information, please go to: https://www.spravato.com/trd/preparing-for-treatment
Esketamine Treatment in Walpole, MA
Esketamine can be rewarding for those struggling with depression that seems to never end. You deserve to have a life where you can enjoy all of life’s precious moments. We can help get you there. Give Neuro Behavioral Center in Walpole, Massachusetts, a call at (508) 660-1666, or schedule an appointment online.